newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
06-21-2022, 02:16 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1497 [official build remains at 1487]
(06-21-2022 01:16 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(06-20-2022 02:47 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Do you see the possibility in the future of a version that has persistent memory, but doesn't have the potential to dual boot (all newRPL, all the time)? I put together a KB overlay (key labels only) that accounts for the keys with revised functions, but when I put them on, I can't see the OG labels for the Prime OS functions. I already have a Prime G2 that will always have Prime OS on it, so I am totally OK with a dedicated firmware if there wasn't a risk of losing all items that were stored (settings, variables, programs, etc).

I personally always felt the dual boot was necessary in order to convince people to turn their Prime into a newRPL machine, since they wouldn't really lose their precious Prime.
But since the Prime G2 was released, you can have a "better" Prime then use your old G1 for newRPL. The main problem with newRPL not being persistent is not technical, but legal: the HP Prime uses a YAFFS file system for the flash partition, which is released under the GPL license. This means if newRPL wants to read/write to that partition the firmware will become "infected" with the GPL license.
Taking over completely we could of course use a different flash file system with a more compatible licensing.
Right now newRPL can write to the FAT partition mounted as an SD card, so you can use SDARCHIVE and SDRESTORE to achieve persistence across reboots.
Thanks for the clarification - I have been getting things set here with those SD commands - but I need to get it all "dialed in" again before doing it again (based on your previous cautions about overusing those for wear reasons).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1497 [official build remains at 1487] - spiff72 - 06-21-2022 02:16 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)