newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487]
09-03-2020, 06:06 PM
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build]
(09-02-2020 08:10 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Hello. It is nice to see the newRPL is still kicking (even more than three years ago).

I have just bold proposal (coming from simple idiot) as one solution for overlapping numbers and etc... What about implementing a longpress feature as or similar than in keyman+ ??? This is not optimal, but the keys with wrong labels are not either.

Long press has been a feature of newRPL since day one (I guess that makes me another simple idiot, as I really like that feature). You are right as it not being optimal, takes forever to type anything if you are waiting for a long press all the time.
For the most part the keyboard is done now, I kept most of the letters where they are except the numbers and operators, they all moved to the black keys at the top. I'm not 100% happy because I have 1 key less than what I'd like to have, but after using it for a while I got used to it.

(09-02-2020 08:10 PM)Vtile Wrote:  PPS. As of units, I do lots of revolutions and degrees based calculation with really wild engineering units (not to be mixed with 'de facto' standard US or GB engineering units) on my day job (motion systems for industry). Have now introduced ie. _Re(volution), build custom unit menu to all odd but useful engineering units (for my surprise the menu will accept the keyboard shortcuts as original unit menu). I do also use conversions between _Re(=2*pi 360_°) and _° usually with time (seconds to microseconds) and some equipment specific engineering units mixed on top. This on vanilla OS on 50g. Just on heads up that non-scientific approach (from academic viewpoint) of units (basically dimensional analysis) can and is handy (edit.. IIRC crossed some annoying limitations of radians as non unit on vanilla OS, ppps. _uno were proposed as SI unit for scalar a quantity of dimension one ... _unit Tongue ). To keep it 'hack-able' for lack of better description.

I called it "turn" instead of revolution as somebody suggested here in the forum, but that's a system unit in newRPL. Radians are far more graciously handled in newRPL. Actually, all non-dimensional units are considered equivalent to raw numbers, not just radians. The only down side is that you can add radians and decibels, or radians per second and Hz, and the system won't say a word because they meet dimensional compatibility.

So your hack wouldn't be needed: rad/s is already consider equivalent to 1/s, and if you have w=V/r for example with V in m/s and the radius in m, you can convert w to rpm and it will work in newRPL without a hitch. Of course you need to know what you are doing to avoid converting rad/s into Hz without the 2pi factor for example, but that's true also with paper and pencil....

Finally, regarding the _uno virtual unit (something like the _? on the 50g). You can define any units you like, including new base units. As a matter of fact, you don't even need to define them. newRPL will add 1_oranges and 3_oranges without questioning what the unit is. If you define the unit _uno as the scalar 1 then it will become a non-dimensional unit like Db, radians, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1360 [ including official build] - Claudio L. - 09-03-2020 06:06 PM
Navigating through sub-menus - Gilles - 05-13-2023, 11:31 AM
It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023, 12:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)