The Prime is just an Expensive Toy
12-16-2019, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2019 07:37 AM by parisse.)
RE: The Prime is just an Expensive Toy
(12-16-2019 06:21 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Programming on calculator actually does have some of the easiness of earlier programming languages, but even on a calc like Prime, doing a "hello world" is not that easy (need to created an exported function)...
You don't need to export a CAS function (and you will always need to create a function...).

Python has some drawbacks for beginners, like using = instead of := or not using explicit block delimiters. It's not designed to do maths, but French curriculum asks math teachers to teach it.
Python is now mandatory in French curriculum because one influent leader in the French education hierarchy decided this. It is replacing Algobox, which was much easier to teach at beginner level.
I'm afraid that most teachers will not really teach programming to students, they will religiously write some piece of code from a book on the blackboard and tell the students to copy it and hope that they will not make errors copying it because they would have a hard time correcting it (and some teachers will not go to a classroom with computers, students will just write the piece of code on a paper).
It's really becoming like a religion, with some formulas like "from math import *" that must be somewhere otherwise it would fail, nobody knows why.
Python programming is replacing algorithmic in examinations. I believe that this move was really a bad idea. I hope things will change in the future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Prime is just an Expensive Toy - parisse - 12-16-2019 07:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)