The Prime is just an Expensive Toy
12-08-2019, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2019 10:55 PM by toml_12953.)
RE: The Prime is just an Expensive Toy
(12-08-2019 10:21 PM)HP User Wrote:  I also believe a company could design and construct the ultimate calculator. They just need great vision, ideas, a whole collection of necessary disciplines working together, with someone not tainted by whatever could be bad for the product, and just do it. There's the problem: something is missing, and it could easily be in the design/vision department.

I don't believe that. No two people can agree on what the "Ultimate Calculator" is! Look at the endless discussion at SwissMicros just aimed at a decent keyboard for an upcoming calculator! That discussion doesn't even mention features of the machine and yet it's been going on for years! Start a poll and ask what language this chimera of a calculator should use. I'll bet you get dozens of answers, each from a person who thinks the other languages are crap.

My ultimate calculator wouldn't include CAS but would include a full version of cPython, full version of ISO BASIC, would allow installation of other programming languages, have hardware ports for tape drives, printers, disk drives, lab equipment, whatever. It would have battery life measures in weeks, not hours and yet would be the fastest calculating device in existence. Would anyone but me buy one? I doubt it.

No, the "Ultimate Calculator for Everyone"™ doesn't exist and so no company could produce one.

Tom L
Cui bono?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Prime is just an Expensive Toy - toml_12953 - 12-08-2019 10:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)