Which calculators run RPL under the hood?
11-27-2019, 03:52 PM
RE: Which calculators run RPL under the hood?
(11-27-2019 03:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I believe ALL Pioneers are based on a SysRPL core, with varying maturity of the kernel as time progressed. It has been reported (I believe after an extensive disassembly) that the 42S used a larger amount of assembler code than other models, but this no doubt is due to being so early and requiring lower-level tweaks to accomplish the required 41 FOCAL compatibility. Creating all models on a common platform was one of the core goals when SysRPL was conceived. It is still cheaper/faster/safer to build a "low-end" model like the 20S on an existing platform than to create a new one, even if that model's demands are not high.

That's interesting that they used it even on the 20S. What's it have, a couple hundred bytes of RAM at most?

The mid-range ones I had suspected didn't use RPL, which could explain the 32S being much faster than the 42S. But if it's also RPL, and the 42S is using a lot more assembly code, then that makes the speed difference more surprising.

(11-27-2019 03:04 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I believe the later derivatives of the Pioneers (10BII-Gold, 17BII-Silver, 33S, 17BII+, et. al.) were all re-implemented when outsourced to various firms in China. Later still, the 10bII-Silver and 10bII+ were then brought back in-house and done (in C?) by Tim I believe (the 10bII+ for sure).

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if any of those had any RPL left in them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which calculators run RPL under the hood? - Dave Britten - 11-27-2019 03:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)