DIY prototype RPN/TENKEY programmable calc with printer <:3)--
11-08-2019, 06:46 PM
DIY prototype RPN/TENKEY programmable calc with printer <:3)--
Hi everybody. Some time ago (many years in fact) i found some HP calculator emulators on the web. I found that RPN system can be kinda good for some things, especially for programmable calc. I started to get interested in HP calculators and soon i started to look for some 48GX or 41CX, (un)fortunatelly it was not easy to get one in Poland, and prices of the ones on Ebay were a little too high. I ended using emulators on Android and PC.

Some time after that i just started to think if i could make a calc by myself. I had done some experiments with my own software calc using tenkey system. Then i got some cash registers for parts and i made functioning thermal printer out of that parts. When i got printer i though to myself that i am only missing a good calc to connect it to it ;-) I got some mechanical keybaord modules, LCD displays and stuff like that and i found that those parts are great material for a calc.

I started looking for MCU to handle that stuff and found that AVRs may not be the best choice, i found cheap STM32 board and i found it great for the job. From the lack of pins i used old AVR just to work as keyboard controller. It took many software upgrades to get to the state where i am today, i have learned some things along the road. Software i written is in Bascom (for AVR) and Arduino IDE for STM.

Here are some of the features of the junk i have made:
-RPN/Tenkey system with 6 level RPN stack and 2 Tenkey adders. * key is used not only to clear tenkey adders but also can move data from adders to RPN stack.
-Can swap any 2 levels of stack (not only lower ones).
-Indirect memory access with STORE, RECALL, ADD (shift + left add button) and SUBTRACT (shift + left subtract button) functions.
-Build in unit converter and constant library.
-Various scientific math functions hidden in >MATH< menu.
-Alphanumeric prompting (on LCD) and printing.
-Printing on thermal printer, trough universal UART (for Psion Workabout MX) or USB (emulating HID keyboard or USB UART).
-Shadow and normal programming (shadow mode works like manual operation, but it stores everything you do in background, so the keypresses are both executed and stored in memory).
-5 programmable keys.
-Statistical functions.
-Timer (much like HP-41CX one) that can be triggered manually or by external interrupts.
-Possibility to read values from ADC inputs.
-Multiple display modes (showing things like whole stack, part of stack and tenkey adders, part of stack and alpha registers and so on).
-Dropping values from stack to PC (trough HID USB keyboard emulation).
-Values can be displayed in SCI format or in fixed point (rounded) format, but they are always handled as 64bit floating point.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
DIY prototype RPN/TENKEY programmable calc with printer <:3)-- - macieksoft - 11-08-2019 06:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)