48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
10-31-2019, 06:59 PM
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy)
(10-30-2019 10:45 PM)lemontea Wrote:  Thanks for pointing out Ultibo. I took a quick look at the website.

Looks like it wants you to program in Pascal!

I have totally forgotten my Pascal! Never thought I'd ever have to relearn it. Probably won't, to be honest (lol).

Yes, you are tied to a license, tied to a language and tied to an API that won't be portable to other platforms.
However, you could in theory make your calculator in layers carefully planned. You should come up with a HAL layer, connecting your application with abstracted hardware, then provide ports of this HAL layer with drivers for your different platforms, so that if you decide to get out of R-Pi you could simply write a new HAL layer.
Ultibo could be (I didn't look deep enough, but in theory) compiled as a library, and you could code in C, as long as you declare the external functions as pascal calling convention, your HAL should link without any issues. Storage of strings and data structure differences might still arise, but your HAL layer could abstract all that.
Your other choice would be go with a simpler platform, where you can write your own drivers and go truly baremetal (still, coding with a HAL layer would allow you to port to other hardware in the future, so it should be done anyway). This choice would be my first, rather than using a Raspberry Pi, but the R-Pi would get you started a lot faster, so it's a trade off.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 48G Re-creation Project (fantasy) - Claudio L. - 10-31-2019 06:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)