Programming Pad for RPL Programs
05-21-2014, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 11:34 PM by rprosperi.)
RE: Programming Pad for RPL Programs
(05-21-2014 12:54 PM)HP67 Wrote:  As somebody who used Teco on a PDP-7 and a PDP-11 for a couple of weeks back in the day, I respectfully suggest- nay, I daresay demand! you stop pulling our leg Wink There is nobody alive today who could prefer Teco even to Vi!

TECO was (is?) an incredibly powerful text 'editor' (not in the current sense of the word) and much that it offered still has not been bettered to this day. I learned it on PDP-11s working at the computer center in college, where I got to play with (ahem, archive) the DECUS tapes. The real forerunner of the Goodies disks, swap disks, etc.

But TECO was incredibly arcane and tedious. So no, I no longer use it, except for the occasional trip into the past; and yes there are windows compatible (it is command-line after all) versions. Google it; you'll be surprised how much there is. Favorite TECO game back then. Starting with some given text phrase, you had to predict what would happen if you entrered your name as a TECO command.

(05-21-2014 02:43 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Speaking of ancient editors, does anyone remember SED on the DEC-20? Ah, the good old days.

I think this was around on the DECUS tapes for RSTS/E (PDP-11 OS) and early Vax OS releases. Probably came from those Bell labs guys that were always doinf stuff on DEC hardware.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming Pad for RPL Programs - rprosperi - 05-21-2014 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)