Programming Pad for RPL Programs
05-21-2014, 12:54 PM
RE: Programming Pad for RPL Programs
(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  There is an entire Emacs environment that actually runs on the 48GX (and later brethren). Have not used it myself as I fear I may be forced to drink the Kool-aid by the Emacs religious zealots.

From the very little I read on it (no direct experience) I got the impression it just shared the name. There is no way I want to be using a real copy of Emacs on a device with no Alt or Ctrl keys.

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I still prefer TECO (which is what Emacs was written in, waaay back then).

As somebody who used Teco on a PDP-7 and a PDP-11 for a couple of weeks back in the day, I respectfully suggest- nay, I daresay demand! you stop pulling our leg Wink There is nobody alive today who could prefer Teco even to Vi!

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  And yes, Windows versions do exist (which is truly amazing).

Of Emacs or Teco? The former I'm aware of, the latter would border on insanity (and don't forget the disclaimer of liability, etc.)

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I share your frustration with the on-device editors re-arranging according to it's own ideas of structure, but I guess it's fair given the environment it's running in.

Agreed, but I haven't been able to figure out the heuristics the 48 or 50 use. I could accept it more if it just stripped all extra spaces and linefeeds. But it seems to have some weird way it decides to chop lines.

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The pros suggest simply to "use the command line tools from HP to build, then test in the emulator" so that your source with comments/structure/etc are preserved (you see Ray, I do listen).

I did get the alternate "HP Tools" working on a little UNIX box that is now my repo of HP code so that would be ok. But it still doesn't give us the editor the Windows tools have and it doesn't seem work with User RPL. Maybe the real "HP Tools" do.

I'm roughing it. I have x48 and tried it briefly and it's neat, but I haven't taken the time to learn it and see if it can do what I want, so I don't use it.

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  But that seems too much like I'm at my job...

A full blown IDE for a calculator might have seemed out of place before the smartphone revolution but now I guess everybody's doing it.

(05-21-2014 12:34 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  All the code on 48/49/50, etc. I do is really only for me, so I prefer to dabble on the machine itself with Jazz, MASD, etc. as it's much more fun. But as I delve deeper into SysRPL, it gets more frustrating so I may set up the on-PC dev environment to give it a try.

You're way ahead of me. I'm still trying to make sure I learn User RPL real well and then decide what to do next. You're right, working on the device is great. It is very nice not to be chained to a PC and to "code on the road." For developing big projects the command line tools on a PC with a good editor are certainly a lot easier. For fixing up stuff it's nice to know you can do anything you need to on the device.

But going back and forth between the 48 and 50 is a killer. It's so annoying to have to deal with all the keyboard and menu differences.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming Pad for RPL Programs - HP67 - 05-21-2014 12:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)