Unit Calc / Conversion only in HP?
05-15-2014, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2014 02:21 PM by Dalil.)
RE: Unit Calc / Conversion only in HP?
(05-15-2014 01:01 PM)Alvaro Wrote:  Hi Dalil,
Well, the main reason is because of the Programming language, UserRPL, I can not use it, I will not spend any Second around with it.
I need a Calculator that also supports BASIC language. And TI-Nspire Touchpad (not CAS) seems to accept BBC BASIC.
Well, I will think about it for several days.

Hi Alvaro,

I understand where you are coming from, I had struggled for quite a bit to get used to the UserRPL language and until now I am still using multiple calculators for multiple problems.

The best alternative for you to the best of my knowledge would be either a TI-89, a TI-89 TITANIUM, a TI Voyage 200 or a TI-92 PLUS. The programming language is close to BASIC and is quite straightforward.

The advantages would be that these machines have identical capabilities compared to the HP50G regarding units manipulations and are quite simple to learn how to use.

The main disadvantage is the price. The TI-89/TI-92PLUS can only be found second hand and are usually expensive, £80+. The TI-89 TITANIUM and TI Voyage 200 can be found new but cost usually more than £120.

You can find emulator of each machine to try it before any purchase to be sure they fulfill your needs.

Quote:Or You may like to have a look on the HP-Prime - fantastic calculator, up to date technology, fast, unit conversions as required, powerful high level structured programming language similar to PASCAL (and to BASIC to some extent, but no GOTO instructions here, which is a goood thing...), algebraic and RPN entry modes, and much more!
http://www.hp-prime.de/en/category/12-units-constants

However the WP-34S is an excellent programmable RPN super calculator that also includes units conversion.
http://www.thecalculatorstore.com/WebRoo..._3_1-2.pdf
And it is a free open project, so in the event You may like to build one instead of buying it ready prepared, have a look to the author's site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wp34s/

The HP-Prime is a nice machine, but does it have the units manipulation capabilities of the HP50G?
Edit: I checked the manual and it seems that the HP Prime can manipulate units and therefore would probably be an option for Alvaro.

Same question for the WP34S. It is a very capable machine but seems to be limited to predefined conversions.

Would it be possible to convert V*Ohms into lb^2*inches^4/(A^3*year^6)? Not that it is useful, but it is to show how powerful the unit manipulation can be on the HP50G.

By the way, the HP50G answer to this question is 1 V.Ohm is equal to 11.532E51 lb^2*inches^4/(A^3*year^6) ^^

On top of that, the WP34S does not fulfill Alvaro's requirements of a machine with BASIC-like programming language.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unit Calc / Conversion only in HP? - Dalil - 05-15-2014 02:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)