Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models
06-12-2019, 04:42 PM
RE: Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models
(06-12-2019 03:16 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(06-12-2019 01:32 PM)burkhard Wrote:  I really hate that there were two layout flavors, but that is history. The coming WP-43S project sadly adopts a 3rd convention for a classical RPN machine. They are putting the math operators on the left (like the older HP machines), but using the top-to-bottom order (like the newer HP machines).

That’s a pity… we don’t need a third convention. Each of the two HP keyboard layouts has its own merit but mixing the two in a different one is just adding confusion IMHO.

Btw, the second layout with the operators on the right was used by HP as early as 1973 with the HP-46.

I agree, a 3rd convention isn't needed, 2 layout styles is enough and the 43S should stick with one of those.

IIRC (and maybe I don't) when the vote took place, the question was for left vs. right (original 43S concept, based on 34S, was the latter style) and the winner was left. I'm sure the vote was presumed to be a left w/original sequence vs. right w/later sequence by most voters, as a combination was not likely considered an option. Will have to raise this over on the SM Forum.

And I never noticed the 46 uses the "later" arrangement, including the later operator sequence; nice point Didier. I'd guess the operator sequence was driven by the historical use of the large "+" on the bottom as used by accountants on adding machines; a convention still used today on most desktop machines of that type.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models - rprosperi - 06-12-2019 04:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)