Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models
06-12-2019, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2019 01:21 PM by burkhard.)
RE: Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models
(06-12-2019 12:36 PM)Gene Wrote:  Picture please?

I am not aware of any change in the keyboard layout from the earliest BETA models with 191XA serial numbers to the regular production runs.

I think you read it too quickly, Gene.
I think he simply means:
"Back 30+ years ago why did HP move the mathematical operators from the left (HP-41C) to right (HP-42S)?"

One more thing besides that actually... They monkeyed with the top-to-bottom order of the operands as well, something that actually gives me more grief than the left↔right interchange when I go to using one vintage of machine to the other.

I really hate that there were two layout flavors, but that is history. The coming exciting WP-43S project sadly adopts a 3rd convention for a classical RPN machine. They are putting the math operators on the left (like the older HP machines), but using the top-to-bottom order of the newer HP machines.

I will say, if you only ever use one model, it doesn't really matter much, but for a lot of us with a collection (or a pile, depending on one's perspective), switching back & forth is a little annoying. But, I take what I can get—I can't be content with just one, can I? :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keyboard Layout HP-41C and early models - burkhard - 06-12-2019 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)