Speed of HP-15C LE - and it's capabilities
05-13-2014, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 08:39 PM by Jeff_Kearns.)
Speed of HP-15C LE - and it's capabilities
I am always amazed at the incredible ingenuity of current and former forum contributors in solving puzzles and mini-challenges, and the various programming techniques used. I would like to tackle the various problems in the Project Euler website one day to see if the HP-15C can handle them all.

I finally got around to entering Valentin Albillo's 160 line program to solve Karl Schneider's A modest arithmetical challenge, posted in April 2007. A worthwhile thread to re-read.

The puzzle involved finding integers from 1 through 9, used exactly once to form three quotients of single-digit integer numerators and two-digit integer denominators, such that the sum of these three terms equals unity. There is only one solution.

The program takes 'a mere' 48 minutes on a physical HP-15C. According to Valentin, a 750x emulator would run this program in less than 4 seconds. So I tried it on the HP-15C LE just now. ... Time: ~20 seconds!!! That is more like 144 times as fast as regular 15C. I am very happy with this calculator, in spite of its bugs, and I regret selling my spare unit last year for a measly $150 (but at least it was sold to a friend who felt he got a good deal) considering what they are going for now, and especially since my 10 year old son is eyeing mine!

Jeff K
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Speed of HP-15C LE - and it's capabilities - Jeff_Kearns - 05-13-2014 08:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)