differential equations
05-06-2019, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2019 10:19 PM by Anders.)
RE: differential equations
This is another example of where the CAS system does not return the result in a canonical form. Unfortunately, it also happens in a few places, e.g. various transformations like Laplace, Z etc. While CAS produces mathematically correct results, it is sometimes far away from what the user expects (canonical form) and it takes time (some times a lot of time) to figure out how to convert the result into a familiar form that the user can interpret and understand it's physical meaning (e.g. in physics, EE, control theory etc).

Since CAS is not using table look up as a method to produce results but is using generalized algorithms (which I think is actually a strength because it can therefore cover more complex situation generally).

However, it would be great to have a sort of normalization algorithm as a last step that the user could invoke (kind of like the "simplify" button) to normalize a result into canonical form and/or with an option to auto normalize (through a setting).

I've been toying with the idea to write a program that does this.
I was thinking write a parser that parse the input and call CAS term-wise and then have the program put together the result in canonical form, but it became too complex because you have to normalize the input first anyway. So some work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: differential equations - parisse - 05-02-2019, 10:58 AM
RE: differential equations - Aries - 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM
RE: differential equations - Anders - 05-06-2019, 10:08 PM
RE: differential equations - Aries - 05-10-2019, 02:01 PM
RE: differential equations - Anders - 05-11-2019, 05:26 AM
RE: differential equations - ijabbott - 05-06-2019, 06:31 AM
RE: differential equations - Anders - 05-06-2019 09:35 PM
RE: differential equations - parisse - 05-07-2019, 06:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)