Improve precision of float numbers
04-12-2019, 06:22 PM
RE: Improve precision of float numbers
Thinking about it some more:

If you can fit something like bignum in your MCU, you have other options (I was thinking smaller, so the tiny routines in that paper were the first choice):

DecNumber is the reference implementation for multi precision decimal, but it abuses malloc/free so it's not too friendly for small hardware.

Mpdecimal is Python's implementation, I used it for newRPL for quite some time, it's more MCU friendly but there's no transcendentals.

And finally, you could also use newRPLs decimal library (and I don't know why I didn't think of it before, being the author...oh, well), which only needs a static scratch area of memory, no dependencies at all, and it's a single file. Transcendental functions are already done and they are tableless (almost) so it's very MCU friendly. It's not documented very well but since it was designed as a drop-in replacement for mpdecimal, the API is very similar.

You should take a look at all 3, I'm not sure what are the limitations on your hardware but if it fits, it's way better than starting from scratch.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Improve precision of float numbers - Claudio L. - 04-12-2019 06:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)