[VA] SRC#005- April, 1st Mean Minichallenge
04-12-2019, 02:14 PM
RE: [VA] SRC#005- April, 1st Mean Minichallenge
(04-12-2019 12:27 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  When it came out I was at univerisity and not even able to afford an HP-41. The 71B cost over twice as much and a couple of accessories could drive the price up to the level of a decent family car. My Ti-59 cost only half of the HP-41 for comparison. (The car I was driving at the time had cost me 300 DM, an HP-71B would have cost between 1500 and 2000 DM - just to show how out-of-the world the price tag was - about as much a Commodre PET, Apple II or other first-generation "home computer" which then were really the things we wanted to have).
I always wonder why so many of them are available on the collector market now, there must have been a lot of wealthy professionals back then who (or whose employer) could afford them. But that's good for us of course :-)

Oh, definitely professionals. Stuff that's astronomically expensive from a hobbyist's point of view can make perfect sense in a business context.

For example, one time when I had only been a professional programmer for a few years, I had to debug a memory leak. The application in question was large enough that simply staring at the code until I figured it out was not an option. I did a bit of research and found a tool that looked perfect for the job, but it was not something we already had. So, we would have to buy it, and the price was $1500 (U.S.).

With my hobbyist sensibilities, I thought $1500 was insane. But I really needed this thing, so I went to my boss, fully expecting to be turned down at such an extreme price tag. Instead, he didn't even blink. He just asked, "do you need this?" And I told him that I expected it to save me about two weeks of work on the current project. That was all he needed to hear, he signed the purchase order right away. And once I thought of what two weeks of my time actually cost the company, it was clear that this really was a no-brainer.

I'm sure that's how it goes with a lot of that seemingly-expensive HP equipment. It saves people work and that's how it pays for itself. And if it is just a bit more reliable or easy to use than cheaper equivalents, that extra money usually pays for itself, too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [VA] SRC#005- April, 1st Mean Minichallenge - Thomas Okken - 04-12-2019 02:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)