newRPL - can't restore to 39gs
03-25-2019, 03:20 PM
RE: newRPL - can't restore to 39gs
(03-24-2019 10:03 PM)franco51 Wrote:  That will work only if a list is not greater than the buffer size - which they are unfortunately.
USBSEND/USBRECEIVE use one routine. USBARCHIVE/USBRESTORE use a different routine. This means USBSEND might succeed even if USBARCHIVE fails.

(03-24-2019 10:03 PM)franco51 Wrote:  Actually, you mentioning directories reminded me of the first time I tried the restore function, which was some time ago now. I don't know if it is relevant but the directory structure was lost following that restore. If I recall, all variables were restored okay but as a flat structure. Furthermore, because I had stored some variables with same names in different directories, those were all restored multiple times. I thought I would get rid of some of them but I found that purging one got rid of all with the same name. Since then, I don't use directories; all variables now have unique names relevant to the application.

BR
Frank.

Directories are stored flat in memory, with start and end markers indicating where each directory starts. The only reason for those markers to be "lost" is while it was still under development and they may have changed from one version to the other. That hasn't happened in many years. Also, variables with the same name don't get purged all at once. They shadow each other and get purged individually. When you have multiple variables of the same name you need to PURGE multiple times until you get the "Undefined variable" error.
Nowadays there's ZERO reason for you not to use directories. There's no known bugs there, and nothing is actively changing in that area anymore. I haven't lost my directories since 2015, and I crash my development calc all the time, even on purpose.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
newRPL - can't restore to 39gs - franco51 - 03-13-2019, 02:19 PM
RE: newRPL - can't restore to 39gs - 3298 - 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM
RE: newRPL - can't restore to 39gs - Claudio L. - 03-25-2019 03:20 PM
RE: newRPL - can't restore to 39gs - bzoom - 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)