Planned Obsolescence is your fault
12-31-2018, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-31-2018 11:49 PM by pier4r.)
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault
(12-31-2018 10:13 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  If my $1000 TV were to break, I'd want to get it fixed, but if my $59 DVD player or my $59 camera stop working, I'm just going to replace them. Why would manufacturers go out of their way to make devices like that easy to repair?

This is a good point.
Also maybe I am lucky but some of my systems post 2000 last quite a bit. I think that some things are produced economically and cannot really last while others are almost immortal.

CPUs/integrated circuits are simply immortal. Yes PCBs may fail, but I rarely saw a CPU - used within the designed specifications, no overclocking - dying.

Old monitors still work. My ebook readers from 2010 still work.

I mean for me:
a) I would see it differently if the design something to last "at least" as much as the warranty period rather than to last "close enough" to the warranty period.
b) In any case I would be amazed, as to dimension components to break at a certain point I think it is not easy. Having firmware commands is something different than having mechanical failures.
c) In relation to (a). I think that the obsolescence is more media induced or based by saving money. As designing components that lasts "around 2 years" should be more expensive than simply taking away quality out of a product.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Planned Obsolescence is your fault - pier4r - 12-31-2018 11:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)