Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down
12-13-2018, 05:41 PM
RE: Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down
(12-13-2018 05:26 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(12-13-2018 05:13 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Has anyone asked the owner whether he objects to the site being hosted elsewhere?

According to the guestbook, Meindert Kuipers did that a couple of days ago.

http://www.greendyk.nl/gastboek/gastenboek.php

FWIW, I tried downloading the site using a website copier, HTTrack, but apparently my IP address was blocked and the download was unsuccessful. I did get some nice pics of Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds. Smile

Dave

Asking "would you be interested if I mirrored your site" and "would you object to me mirroring your site" are two different things. Meindert offered to host; my question was, has anyone asked for permission to host a mirror? Maybe I'm just splitting hairs here but it seems like an important distinction.

Disregarding the fact that hosting that content is illegal anyway, since it's all copyrighted by HP and as far as I know, no one has ever been granted permission to redistribute those materials other than Dave Hicks, and even that is basically a gentlemen's agreement that could be cancelled at any time.

Regarding the purely intellectual challenge of automatically downloading the site, I'm guessing that will require throttling, setting request headers to mimic real browsers, and populating Referer correctly. I've seen at least one other site that blocks downloading and linking by checking Referer.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sad News - greendyk.nl Website Closing Down - Thomas Okken - 12-13-2018 05:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)