Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus?
10-06-2018, 03:12 AM
RE: Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus?
My thoughts after having read the comments so far:

1. I don't want to add any new instructions. Extending the instruction set is a pain, and that pain becomes especially severe when you're adding instructions that take parameters, like LBL. Given that we're talking about functionality that only a small fraction of Free42 users is going to be interested in, I don't want to spend a huge amount of time implementing this.

2. Having ruled out extensions to the instruction set, we're back at the "magic character" approach. Next question: which character? Answer: some character that is impossible to type on a standard HP-42S or 41C/CV/CX. Using an un-typable character means that no labels from existing programs will be hidden inadvertently. (And before anyone says "synthetic programming," I say, what's the point of creating a label with an un-typable character? Do such programs even exist?)

3. Having chosen an un-typable character, the next question is: so, how *do* you type this un-typable character, then? Answer: I'll add it to the ALPHA menu. Maybe plainly visible, like in the unused fifth spot in the ←↑↓ submenu, or hidden, like Shift-Bullet in the first row of the MISC submenu.

4. Finally: when exactly are those hidden labels hidden, and when are they still visible? I'm thinking they should be hidden from the menus that appear with XEQ, SOLVER, and ∫f(x), in RUN mode only, and remain visible everywhere else.

Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any 42S means to keep a Global Label hidden from XEQ and other menus? - Thomas Okken - 10-06-2018 03:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)