Print42 - thermal printer software for Free42
01-11-2020, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2020 06:15 AM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: Print42 - thermal printer software for Free42
(01-11-2020 05:37 AM)tcab Wrote:  I managed to compile Free42 on the Raspberry Pi. As Thomas said, its dead easy:
Code:
sudo apt install libgtk-3-dev
git clone https://github.com/thomasokken/free42.git
cd free42/gtk
make
./free42bin

Not sure whether I should have run the build-gtk script instead?, but the resulting binary free42bin using the steps above seems to have worked OK (though I did get a few compile warnings flying past...)

The difference is that the build-gtk script checks if /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h exists, and adds AUDIO_ALSA=1 to the 'make' command line if it does, and it strips the binaries to make them smaller.

Regarding the warnings, those are probably related to GTK. In the later GTK 3 versions, a few APIs were deprecated, but I'm sticking with them in order to be able to continue building in Ubuntu 12.04, which has a rather old version of GTK 3 (3.4.2). I don't know if it's possible to suppress those warnings, but they are harmless at any rate.

(01-11-2020 05:37 AM)tcab Wrote:  Print42 was unable to automatically detect the location of the Free42 printout text file (Print42 tries to guess via inspecting the Free42 state file, which it thinks is in /home/pi/.local/share/Free42/state but the Free42 state file is not there - I'll have to find out where the proper location is and tweak that in the next release of Print42).

The location of the directory containing the state file is hard-coded in gtk/shell_main.cc, line 408, and the state, print-out, and keymap file names, which include the Free42 directory name, are hard coded starting at line 421, six lines in total. Search for /.free42/ to make sure you find all occurrences.

I guess it's a bit ugly but I didn't anticipate people wanting to store those files somewhere other than $HOME/.free42 Smile

(01-11-2020 05:37 AM)tcab Wrote:  Here is a photo of my setup.

Cool!

(01-09-2020 06:08 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  Enjoy your new little computer.

I'm liking it so far! It has already helped me fix a bug that I hadn't been able to reproduce in my other Linux environments. Although that bug is caused by bad behavior in GTK or in the display driver, so that is a mixed blessing, I guess. Smile

I have had dropped WiFi connections a couple of times, although I'm not 100% sure the Pi is at fault there. It could also be a problem in my router (Netgear WNDR4300 running a not-very-recent version of DD-WRT) or in the MacBook Air I'm using to VNC into the Pi. I haven't noticed WiFi flakiness before, but I don't usually VNC between machines at home for long periods of time, either, so that will require some investigation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Print42 - thermal printer software for Free42 - Thomas Okken - 01-11-2020 06:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)