Restoring a HP9830B calculator.
07-27-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: Restoring a HP9830B calculator.
Working!

I just checked the bank signals. They all were good. It was a bit confusing since the marker on the male connector indicated pin 1 at exactly the reverse position. Then put back the print head and tested. It worked!

[Image: HP9830B_working.png]

Ins't it beautiful?

I have now to change the power on lamp on the printer and then to ressemble it fully.

The following components has been replaced:

Two indicator lamps.
One lamp for the tape drive.
A BCD ALU 256 x 4 PROM on the calculator Data Path board
A 74121 on the I/O interface board
A 7404 on the printer Data Path board.
Five keys which was broken of.
Three missing key tops.

I have also done a good deal of cleaning of the unit.

Thanks Tony for the excellent repair guide and schematics!
Thanks waterlander2004 for the DELETE LINE key!
Thanks Brent for a very good page on the HP9830 calculator!
Thanks to the fellow collector who provided me with END key and five spare key switches!

BTW. The unit came with a HP original cassette marked 11273-60004 SYSTEMS TAPE CASSETTE. It is currently missing its pressure pad. I intend to replace this with some felt pad. Would it be possible to read of the content (if it is readable) and preserve it in some way? Maybe someone already done this with this cassette?

I have the disk subsystem which consists of two very heavy 14 inch cartridge drives (and also a fixed platter), two equally heavy power supply units, a controller unit, cables and a ROM cartridge. All those things are in store. But I leave for some other year to restore. I will now focus on getting the HP9810A working.

www.datormuseum.se
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Restoring a HP9830B calculator. - MattisLind - 07-27-2014 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)