HP-25 Keyboard fix, dissambely advice ?
08-16-2018, 07:07 AM
RE: HP-25 Keyboard fix, dissambely advice ?
Allstonma,

It is not easy but the keyboard should be fixable - I fixed a completely corroded keyboard a few months ago

The first step is to cut off all the little black bubbles (post tops that stick out of the keyboard back) with a razor blade
That allows you to disassemble the keyboard. You can then clean up the keyboard corrosion with vinegar (for example). You probably need to scrape off corrosion from under the ‘cricket mechanism’ (bent metal tabs that click to register the keys) - I used a thin enameled wire for that

After the cleanup, you should check that the keys register using an ohm meter
You also may want to cleanup the off/on and prgm/run sliders as well and add silicon grease to smoothen the sliding mechanism

To seal the keyboard back, make sure you clamp the front and back parts tight and drop ABS glue with a syringe on top of each post to replace the original black bubbles you cut off (I used successfully Oates medium black abs cement which I bought at a hardware store)

If the rest of the machine is completely corroded and does not work, you can get a Woodstock LP kit from Panamatik which will give it a new life

Good Luck!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-25 Keyboard fix, dissambely advice ? - Benoit Maag - 08-16-2018 07:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)