Rare findings season is opened!
08-07-2018, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2018 08:46 AM by Dieter.)
RE: Rare findings season is opened!
(08-07-2018 03:20 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  With a reference to a footnote:
Quote:Addressing the programs directly (as can be done, e.g. with the HP Stat Pac module) is not possible here, because the 15 programs on the FISHPOPDYN module have a number of local ALPHA labels in common.

I find that a bit weird. If I had the following structure in the module:
Code:
LBL "FB 1"

LBL A

END
LBL "FB 2"

LBL A

END

Couldn't I just GTO "FB 1" and then use A in USER mode to XEQ A within this 1st block?

I can't say what made the author(s) of the manual or the module recommend such a weird prodecure. But, generally speaking, very often experts in a certain field (like fish breeding) are not experts in calculator programming and usage. There often is only a very limited understanding of how a device works and what are the preferred procedures and associated programming techniques. I remember several cases (some have been discussed here) where specialized HP41 software was far from being optimized, and some cases where even examples for bad programming style. This BTW also includes some of HP's own programs. But again: I can't say anything about this particular case, it's just what I recall from other similar cases.

According to point 4 in the mentioned table on page 4 all programs seem to get initizialied with [Shift] [c], i.e. a local alpha label. The usual and recommended way of doing such things would be another one: Each program should be started with [XEQ] FB 1, [XEQ] FB 2 ... etc. which sets the program pointer within that program and may also initialize other things (flags, data registers etc.). If local alpha labels are used also User mode should be set (SF 27). This is the common way such things are handled. But just like you I can't see why this has not been implemented in this particular case.

(08-07-2018 03:20 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  But then this description appears to be written by Corvallis Microtechnology Inc.

They produced the module. But I don't think they proofread their customers' manuals and suggest changes.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rare findings season is opened! - Dieter - 08-07-2018 08:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)