What I never liked much in books that should provide knowledge.
07-19-2018, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 08:42 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: What I never liked much in books that should provide knowledge.
Hi, Pier:

pier4r Wrote:I would make a quick analogy with annotated chess games. Something on the line "here there is a beautiful mate in 7, but I won't deprive you from the pleasure to find it". No, one can take time and try by himself, but the book should provide a solution at least.

Certainly, I fully agree with you. At least for chess, you don't have to waste time and effort to find that "beautiful mate in 7" in you don't want to, you simply set up the position in any free chess program and it'll instantly find the mate for you, or the main line, or whatever. But with a math or engineering book you can't do that, your only recourse is to try and find it solved in the internet, which can take time or even fail altogether.

With books, I've experienced many times exactly what you describe and, frankly, I hated it. I remember in particular Knuth's "The Art of Computer Programming" and Scheid's "Numerical Analysis". The latter in particular included lots of exercises for the reader but most of the time would only give the final numeric result and frequently not even that, so you could never be sure your answer was correct.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What I never liked much in books that should provide knowledge. - Valentin Albillo - 07-19-2018 08:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)