Transfer files between HP-71b/PC and then to HP-75c
07-03-2018, 11:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 11:59 PM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: Transfer files between HP-71b/PC and then to HP-75c
Hi, Richard (and Bob):

For your benefit, I'll comment here some of the points Bob mentions:

(07-03-2018 01:19 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Richard,

Welcome to the small but still very active world of '71B users.

Indeed welcome and indeed still very active. I've written and still am writing scores of HP-71B-related articles, challenges, routines, and posts in general. May I recommend you the following PDF articles in particular, if you like the HP-71B you're sure to like them and probably find them useful as well:

HP-71B Modest Mater
HP-71B Math ROM Baker's Dozen, Vol. 1
HP-71B Math ROM Baker's Dozen, Vol. 2
HP-71B Short & Sweet Sudoku Solver
HP-71B Fantastic FOUR
HP-71B Sudoku Solver's Sublime Sequel
HP-71B Minimax Polynomial Fit
28 Years of Othello
HP-71B Sudoku Generator ... & Coach !
Long Live the HP-71B!
Small Fry - Primes A'counting
Boldly Going ... Identifying Constants
Packing Long Integers for the HP 71B (Assembler)

Quote:You're about to find out something which is probably a little unexpected: the 71B and 75C use very different dialects of BASIC, and there are lots of differences in many areas.

A real lot. And if we also consider some of their respective plug-in ROMs, the differences are magnified tenfold.

Quote:Coming from a 75, the 71 seems a bit smaller and similar to use, though more flexible and easier to program; the 75 is much faster for math, but slower for I/O.

"Much faster" means something like 4x faster for basic math, not all. When dealing with matrix operations or advanced operations like "Solve" and "Integrate" (available in plug-in ROMs) the differences are smaller.

Quote:Coming from a 71, the 75 seems a lot larger, a lot less flexible, requires tedious syntax for files and I/O, and is just more 'crude' lacking system features such as subprograms, an assembler, etc.

This is just my subjective opinion but I never liked the HP-75, its BASIC is primitive at best, very similar to the one for the HP-85 and thus much less advanced than the 71B's dialect: no subprograms, no recursion, no support for complex numbers, bad I/O, so-so Math ROM, etc. Once the HP-71B was released there was no contest, the HP-75 became "the clunker" for me.

Quote:But both are still great machines and still fun to explore. Please join in and share your explorations, questions and discoveries.

Agreed, please do.

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Transfer files between HP-71b/PC and then to HP-75c - Valentin Albillo - 07-03-2018 11:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)