hp12c / hp12c platinum; which to buy
05-24-2018, 01:04 PM
RE: hp12c / hp12c platinum; which to buy
(05-24-2018 09:12 AM)pattox Wrote:  When I searched the HP museum forums I found that the "best buy" suggestions for these calculators referred to the 2 battery (built in china) models which were current in 2015. The most recent versions of both seem to be one battery models. Further, when I looked at the Amazon user reviews the hp12c gets bad reviews, particularly for the keyboard.

The 2 battery versions (2015) were praised for their speed.

What should I buy? Either the current hp12c or plat version? or an older 2 battery model?....

The current versions of both 12C and 12CP both use 2 x CR2032 batteries, with the double-wide large door. This new 12C is literally thousands of times faster than the original.

The keyboards on current machines are not as good as classic machines (81 to 2000-ish) but generally still much better than any machine from another manufacturer, so it depends on what you're comparing to.

If speed is important, the latest 12C is the fastest option; if pure HP key feel is most important, buy a used 12C (with the small battery door, using 3 small batteries). Used 12Cs can be found (e.g. eBay) for as little as $20-25 if you're patient, even in excellent condition.

The 12CP flavors offer a few different improvements, like Algebraic mode, undo and more program steps, so if this is 'better' depends on what you want to do.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: hp12c / hp12c platinum; which to buy - rprosperi - 05-24-2018 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)