Asking HP to open source HP calculator software and patents
05-15-2018, 04:21 PM
RE: Asking HP to open source HP calculator software and patents
(05-15-2018 10:51 AM)Giuseppe Donnini Wrote:  I sincerely hope that Cyrille's statement doesn't extend to HP as a whole, namely that they didn't keep the source code for the HP-28C/S and HP-48S/G series. To me, that would be the most shocking moment of my "calculator life". And it would be high time for the community to try to salvage this outstandingly great piece of software, by getting in touch with pepole, like Bill Wickes, who surely must still have it -- provided HP doesn't object, of course. Maybe people who were granted access to parts of the source code in the 90's (through HP's BBS developer's conference) should then come forward, too.

Losing code/designs for old products is extremely common - not just large businesses but small as well. You move to a new system that doesn't directly support the old one, and no plans in moving forward the punch cards or whatever medium it is on takes place since the people who generally care about that are not the ones controlling the purse or the time.

Its just how it is unfortunately.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Asking HP to open source HP calculator software and patents - Tim Wessman - 05-15-2018 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)