What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
04-15-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2014 04:50 PM by Dave Britten.)
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
Back to the GW-BASIC-on-95LX-or-100/200LX debate, I took a couple comparison photos (OmniBook 300 pictured in the background, since that's where I wrote the program):

200LX in zoomed mode

200LX in full (80x25) mode

There's also a mid-sized font available that looks pretty good. Fn-Space cycles through the three zoom levels.

The 95LX does have a slight legibility advantage compared to the zoomed font on the 200LX, but the 200LX beats it in speed (about twice as fast), and battery life. Not to mention storage and compatibility and whatnot. Both are quite suitable for GW-BASIC, but the 95LX doesn't support any of the graphics or sound commands, since it doesn't do standard CGA video modes. Evidently the beeper is non-standard as well.

I believe QBASIC also works on the 95LX (don't know about the full QuickBASIC), but the same graphics and sound restrictions apply.

And if anybody is interested in the factors program I used for testing, I'll gladly post the code.

EDIT: This algorithm takes about 66 seconds for the same input on my 48SX.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer - Dave Britten - 04-15-2014 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)