What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
07-08-2020, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 12:45 PM by Dave Britten.)
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
(07-08-2020 12:16 PM)ZQ8000_dude Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 12:05 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  The mass-produced ones are most likely just a mask ROM - or possibly a PROM - plus some SRAM. I'm not sure how the EPROM ones were programmed, but I'm guessing it involved inserting them into a Wizard and connecting it to a PC via serial cable, which would be fine for small production runs by an ISV.

I'm not sure about that, but looks like you can get an adaptor (CE-170) to attach the EPROMs to a standard EPROM programmer. Mentioned here (https://sharppocketcomputers.com/) -- There is also a manual on that site for CE-170

Edit: Having just learned the difference between a PROM, EPROM and EEPROM. EPROMS are programmed by UV light. EEPROMS are programmed by electrical charge, but I don't think the Sharp would have that built in - it would cost a LOT more!

Oh yup, you're right, that makes more sense. Come to think of it, I doubt the card slot on the Wizard can provide the necessary programming voltage anyway.

Also, EPROMs and EEPROMs are both programmed electrically, but EPROMS are erased via UV light, whereas EEPROMs (and by extension, flash) are erased electrically.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer - Dave Britten - 07-08-2020 12:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)