What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
02-28-2019, 12:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2019 04:01 AM by Valentin Albillo.)
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer
Hi, Csaba:

(02-27-2019 09:21 AM)Csaba Tizedes Wrote:  This is identical to EL-5510?

Yes, it is. Most SHARP PC-xxxx were also marketed in other countries renamed as SHARP EL-yyyy. I usually own one of each, though they're otherwise identical.

Quote:Do you have English pdf manual for SHARP PC-1421?

No, sorry, I only have the German pdf manual, which you can download using this link:

Financial Pocket Computer SHARP PC-1421 manual (German)

Nevertheless, apart from the financial functions keywords the rest of BASIC keywords and features are exactly like most other similar Level 2 BASIC SHARP pocket computers so any manual for those would do, the keywords and syntax are the same (though there were some other dedicated models with specific words for matrix operations, double precision (20 digits) and advanced statistic functions, and so the manuals for these specific models include dedicated keywords not present in the PC-1421/EL-5510).

As for the financial keywords, they mostly have the usual standard English names such as PV, FV, IRR, etc., and thus they're pretty easy to figure out if you're familiar with financial functions in general. The rest of the functionality can be easily deduced from the German manual by simply studying the many keyboard examples and the various financial application programs featured near the end of the manual. In a pinch, Google Translate can be used for very specific details.

There's also an Applications Book for this financial model, called (in English) "Dollars and Cents Computing" full of advanced financial programs using the built-in BASIC financial keywords, which can also serve as a useful source. I've seen it but I don't own it, perhaps it can be located as a net download or in TAS.

As a final comment on also using the financial SHARP PC-1421/EL-5510 for general purpose programming, not only does its 40 Kb ROM BASIC include all trigonometric functions in degrees, radians, and grads but also hyperbolic functions, linear regression, factorial, statistic functions, cube root, polar-rectangular conversions, the works ! Compare that to the HP-12C's function set ... Wink

The dedicated Statistics model (SHARP PC-1425) is even rarer than the Financial model, which is saying something (never located an English manual for it Sad ). I got one of those, too ! Smile

Quote:Thank you!

You're welcome !

Regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the best BASIC Pocket Computer - Valentin Albillo - 02-28-2019 12:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)