[Survey] HP users around the world
01-13-2018, 06:33 PM
RE: [Survey] HP users around the world
Italian is the closest language to French due to obvious common origin. My wife, who is 100% French and doesn't speak Italian at all, is able to understand an Italian speaker when he speaks slowly.
I noticed that the more the language is elevated the more the words look alike and that also true between French and English.
Did you know that there are more than 3000 words that have the same spelling and the same meaning ? While they are few between Italian and French. So far I only noticed the short sentence "un virus fragile" that can be French and Italian. Smile
But in fact there are thousands words in English that can be understood in French even if they have not the same spelling. For instance, "common" for "commun", "origin" for "origine", "language" for "langage","spell" for "épeler", etc... "Nurse" is the english pronounciation for "nourrice", "flirt" for "compter fleurette" that has the same meaning. Even "feasible" for "faisable".
Between French and Italian there are some rules that allow to understand words in the other language. For instance, an I followed by a vowel in Italian gives often an L in French (piazza => place, ghiaccio => glace, pianeta => planète, piombo => plomb). An ê or an â in French gives an S in Italian (forêt => foresta, prêt => presto o prestito, bête => bestia). The funniest word I found was "biasimare" that according to the rules gives "blâmer" ! Blâmer looks like "to blame" but is not exactly a true cognate.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Survey] HP users around the world - badaze - 01-13-2018 06:33 PM
Alan Striegel - striegel - 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)