Japanese tournaments about "Quickest calculator user" and calculators vs excel.
10-27-2017, 10:02 PM
Japanese tournaments about "Quickest calculator user" and calculators vs excel.
While searching on youtube videos about mechanical and old electronic calculators, I ended up whatching the following video:

Now what strikes me is that the video mentions a championship that rewards the fastest user of a calculator (more or less in the second part of it).
Moreover the video shows one lady that is really quick in typing numbers on her casio, but her supervisor says that she checks the calculation of the other employees.

Now I wonder, in the era of excel - even if the video is not that new, spreadsheets are not that new either - can one really compete against a spreadsheet?

If the data is difficult to convert in digital form, for example transactions registered on paper, I may understand, but otherwise I don't see the advantages of having a human controlling numbers while there is excel ready for it (aside from numbers being entered correctly).

Thoughts?

Regarding the tournament itself, since a tournament can be held even just for having fun, why not.

Little digression about finding videos about old calulators on youtube: one may be surprised that there is less than expected or the content is not easy to find ( see thread http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9121.html )

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Japanese tournaments about "Quickest calculator user" and calculators vs excel. - pier4r - 10-27-2017 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)