using factorial in probability question
10-03-2017, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 07:43 AM by pier4r.)
RE: using factorial in probability question
(10-03-2017 06:17 AM)resolved Wrote:  You don't truly believe they must understand the internal working of the HP Prime before they can do such elementary math????

I disagree. If the math is elementary, then try to do it on paper by yourself. 365! computed on paper. Have fun.

If a student has no sense about how large is a number (and the limits of digital representation of it), in this case 365!, a tool won't help.

The tool helps when there is a bit of understanding before, otherwise it is just a quick way to cut corners until it works, and when it doesn't, it is the fault of the tool rather than lack of understanding of the procedure.

And indeed seeing such things as "elementary" is only so because many people are used to tools that do the heavy work for them with little understanding about how "heavy" is this work.
Don't get me wrong, I do the same mistake over and over. Then I learn that I demanded too much and I have to understand the tool better.

Example, if it is that easy: how many digits 365! has? Could you compute it without a computing machine, but only on paper?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: using factorial in probability question - pier4r - 10-03-2017 07:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)