newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-10-25]
10-10-2017, 12:58 PM
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15]
(10-10-2017 10:20 AM)brickviking Wrote:  
(09-23-2017 12:27 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  That's strange. I created the installer using the open source Excelsior installer, and tested it before uploading. It created a desktop icon, and inside the menu group there's the uninstaller and the actual program. I'm also using Windows 10 on this machine. Perhaps uninstall and try again?
If not then I'll have to perhaps start using a different installer creator software.

I struck the same issue as Eric did, that I merely have the uninstaller in the newRPL Start directory. The behaviour seems to be the same on a Vista-Home Premium SP2 too (simply doesn't create the desktop icon, nor put the executable into the Start->newRPL directory alongside the uninstaller), although thankfully the group doesn't get removed after first view, like some instances of Win10. Perhaps yet another reason to stay away from Win10.

Here are the steps I did to reproduce the problem:

Start installer. When asked, feed it with a path to install to: here, that's E:\newRPL Desktop. When asked for program group, provide this: HP-Emulators\newRPL Desktop 0.9aAlpha. The rest of the steps are (relatively) obvious.

For the current documentation, I'd also like to suggest a wiki link in the first post, as I missed the link until further down the thread. The first post would be a fantastic place to have this information alongside the links you've already provided, as the wiki provides several very important pieces of information such as the revamped menu interface (which I have a bug I want to post against that, or a misunderstanding). I'll post my thoughts on that menu thing tomorrow, as it's fantastically late here where I am at the moment.

Now, onto the desktop application you've helpfully provided. It's a great way of testing it all out without blowing a running HP50G's setup away, but I got stuck by one small issue. I needed to install a version of QT, as the version you released wouldn't work on my system without me running windeployqt.exe from my QT install. All that got installed on my system were: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll, libstdc++-6.dll, libwinpthread-1.dll, QT5Core.dll, QT5GUI.dll and QT5Widgets.dll, newrpl-ui.exe, Uninstall.exe and platforms\qwindows.dll. When I tried executing newrpl-ui.exe, Windows barfed up and said this:

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows" in "". Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I'm slowly getting used to newRPL, I don't feel confident enough to spring for another HP50G, but experimenting with it on the desktop feels "right" for me. Good luck, I can see this going a long way.

Cheers, brickviking (a.k.a. DrSmokey)

(Post 115)

Thanks for your input. It seems I need to do a few things:
a) Try a new installer creator completely.
b) Research what are those Qt plugins (??), in the 2 machines I tested it the installation failed to create the icons but the program ran fine with the installed DLLs (one machine had Qt installed, the other one didn't). I suspect the file platform/qwindows.dll is the file it couldn't find on your machine, but I have no idea what needs to be done for the application to find it.
c) Add a link to the wiki per your suggestion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15] - Claudio L. - 10-10-2017 12:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)