newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-10-25]
09-23-2017, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 01:43 PM by Claudio L..)
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15]
(09-22-2017 10:33 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Also, after I installed newRPL 0.9a on Windows 10, the only thing it added to its Start menu group was the Uninstall shortcut -- it didn't create a shortcut to run the actual newRPL program from. I don't know if this is a problem with my system or a bug in the installer, but I thought I'd point it out.

I just confirmed this on a different Windows 10 machine that was allowed to update to latest. Not only those shortcuts weren't initially created as they do on my other Windows 10, but the entire Group "newRPL Desktop", which contains the uninstaller only, gets removed from the Start menu after I see it for the first time. I disabled the real-time virus protection to see if it was removing it for a reason but no, same effect. And if I manually go to the folder where start menu groups are stored, the newRPL Desktop group isn't there, as if it was deleted on purpose by some "dark magic". Perhaps because the application isn't digitally signed? But there's no logs of Windows defender removing anything, and it allows the application to install the program and you can use it if you manually create the shortcut. It just annoys the user by not letting the installer create a shortcut? and it removes it from the Start menu on purpose? the fact a human being coded that behavior in the OS is just out of this world.

I also found this thread on Microsoft's own website, which is very old but seems unresolved.
The laptop I used to create the installer wasn't allowed to do latest updates because of hardware driver issues (Win10 removes and replaces the touchpad drivers with a non-functioning one), and the installer works perfectly there.

I'll double check, perhaps the Excelsior installer team found a workaround already. Stay tuned.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15] - Claudio L. - 09-23-2017 01:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)