newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-10-25]
09-18-2017, 10:29 PM
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15]
(09-18-2017 11:23 AM)Nigel (UK) Wrote:  I'm really enjoying this latest release. I've followed your suggestion to use Font7A for the menus; it looks very nice. Helix is a talented font designer!

Thank you Nigel! I find too that this release is very pleasing, even if my preferences are quite different. For me, the menus look good only with Font6B. Font7A is perfect for the command line, to view large objects such as programs.

(09-15-2017 04:26 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  Any of the names above can be used until somebody starts designing and publishing user-created font packs.

You have to tell us how to build a font pack to be used with FNTSTO…
I've realized that in Font8A and Font7A, the slash inside the zero is useless, as the zero can't be confused with the letter O, whereas it looks like an 8. My main concern about fonts is legibility.

Now, here are some quirks:

- If the font for the command line is smaller than 8, the directory path and the autocompletion area appear a bit too high. This is not a problem with a 7-pixel font, only with a 6-pixel font.

- if only the first menu is displayed, and the calculator is turned off while a program is edited, at restart the display is messed up, and the calculator can freeze if the dual menu is not quickly restored.

- when a narrow or a small font is chosen for the command line, the entire width of the screen is not used by the editor, so there is some waste of space. For example, Font8A was designed to show more text in the editor, but currently this changes nothing.

- With a 7-pixel font for the command line, and only one menu displayed, the editor shows 9 lines, so no more than the HP 50g with a 8-pixel font and no header. At the top of the screen, there is room for a tenth line.

Also on the HP50g, there are the reserved variable STARTED and EXITED, which are automatically evaluated when entering and exiting the editor. As explained in the AUR, this can be used "to set a header size of 0 when entering the command line and restore it to 2 when exiting (in order to increase the editor window size)."
I wonder if a similar feature could be implemented to allow switching automatically between two and one menu when an object is edited.

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: newRPL: Alpha demo 0.9 released [UPDATED 2017-09-15] - Helix - 09-18-2017 10:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)