Do Solid State Hard Drives have HP-41C/TI-59 Roots?
07-22-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: Do Solid State Hard Drives have HP-41C/TI-59 Roots?
(07-22-2017 09:23 PM)Dieter Wrote:  
(07-22-2017 08:46 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  From the way I see it, TI-58/59 Solid State Software Modules sound like the predecessors to Solid State drives in today's laptops. Does the mass storage drives of current laptops have its technology roots in the technologies of software modules from TI-58/59 and HP-41 Series?

I do not think so. First of all, "solid state" was a buzzword in the Sixties and Seventies when transistors and integrated circuits became the standard technology in consumer electronics. But most important, the software modules for the TI58/59 and HP41 contained ROM chips. Their content could be read but not written. Today's SSDs usually are flash memory (read/write), similar to memory cards for cameras and mobile phones, which is a completely different technology.

Dieter

Funny you should say Flash. After I posted this, my Palm/Sony flash drive cards came to mind.

But yes, thanks for educating me on how flash memory is much more relavant to drives because of its write functionality rather than read-only.

Thanks again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do Solid State Hard Drives have HP-41C/TI-59 Roots? - Matt Agajanian - 07-22-2017 09:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)