Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus?
08-18-2019, 08:12 PM
RE: Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus?
(08-18-2019 07:19 PM)Bill (Smithville NJ) Wrote:  
(08-18-2019 06:09 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Does anybody have any recommendations for Windows-based scanning software that's particularly well suited for doing manuals?

HI Dave,

I'm a little bit confused with your question. Most manuals are just scanned and then a PDF created from the scan. Most scanners come with software that will scan directly to a pdf. Since a manual may be big, I usually just scan sections (i.e., maybe chapters) to PDF's and then use the professional Adobe program to assemble the finished pdf.

As to actually doing the scan of the manual, that can be quite easy or more difficult depending on whether it's loose leaf or bound. If it's softback, I just take it to Staples, have them slice off the binding. Then I can scan the loose pages. If want to preserve the manual, I just take it back to Staples and have them punch and bind it with a spiral binding.

If the manual is a hard back, then it can be more difficult to scan. It's hard to get it flat enough to not get distortion in the text close to the binding. There are some Laser Book Scanners that are supposed to be able to scan a curved page in a bound book. I've never tried one but would be interested to know how well the lower price ones work.

Not sure if I answered your question.

Bill
WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

Thanks Bill, mostly I'm just wondering if there's software to streamline the process - stick a page on the scanner, click a button, stick the next page on the scanner, click a button, etc. then get a PDF at the end of the process, with consistent page sizes. The default Windows Fax and Scan seems optimized for photos or short documents.

I'm glad you mentioned binding removal, though, because I hadn't through of that. The photos in the listing show some kind of wire binding for the manual, so I'll see if it's something easily removed. My scanner (a small HP OfficeJet MFP) has a sheet feeder, though I don't know if it's double-sided. If it's not, maybe the big MFP at the office would be able to tackle it; I know that thing can send scan results by email as PDF files.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anybody know where to find @BASE for Lotus? - Dave Britten - 08-18-2019 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)