Alpha space has no character
07-09-2017, 09:24 PM
RE: Alpha space has no character
I guess what I was originally expecting was to have the key normally do spaces in either alpha mode but for an explicit Shift+Space to be able to do the underscore anytime, though I imagine that might be incompatible with the way the key-handling engine was written (it would have to be able to distinguish between explicit shift vs. upper/lower-lock). This is, though, roughly equivalent to how such keys behave on the 50g, where LS with Alpha inverts case (like Prime's Alpha and Shift) but keys without alpha functions still do their non-shifted functions in either case unless LS is used explicitly for them. But one could argue that this behavior is inconsistent with keys with assigned alpha characters (and it would have to be or else the shift function would conflict with the alpha character on that key).

On the other hand, having Space do space in either upper- or lowercase alpha would be more logically consistent with the alpha key behavior on the Prime, but potentially not convenient for users using units a lot.

So I guess I'm a bit confused now. Smile In practice I personally found the 50g behavior intuitive and convenient enough, but I honestly can't speak for whether it would be the same to most typical users. It's a good thing we have the User keyboard feature, at least, to customize this, although the flexibility is somewhat limited due to the lack of an extra shift key.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alpha space has no character - TravisE - 07-02-2017, 12:07 AM
RE: Alpha space has no character - TravisE - 07-04-2017, 06:54 PM
RE: Alpha space has no character - TravisE - 07-09-2017 09:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)