Poll: Should I bother with this HP 34C?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
04-26-2017, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 08:04 PM by dm123.)
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
(04-26-2017 05:04 PM)AndiGer Wrote:  As there seems to be same oxidation (blue copper) on the flex cable as well:
Did you check these go thru to the electronics?

--> Cathode (upper battery contact) vs. 6th connection counted from the left of the flex cable as you look on it
--> Anode (lower battery contact) vs. 3rd connection of the flex cable counted from the left as you look on it
--> Rivet in the middle between the battery contacts to left most connection (but not so important - is cathode from charger for charging electronics AFAIK). If this one is not connected / goes thru you can not charge the batteries inside the calculator.

If all connections ok you have to disable more I guess. But yours is the soldered (therefore the more reliable) version as I can see from the pictures.

Andi

Hi Andi, I posted another close up. The blue copper is there as you can see. It's peeling. Can I pull it off, or,is there a recommended solvent to get it off.
A large chunk fell off when I rotated it.
There's quite a bit of it,as you can see. I think this is the issue

Can you confirm, 3rd and 6th connections, are those on the board (a total of 10, I counted), correct?
See photo called hp34c connector

https://imgur.com/gallery/chUj6
I put the big chip that fell off on the main circuit board so that you can see it.
I'm not very electronic savvy. I am a EE, but went into the software industry out of schoolSad
I need to see if we have a multimeter in the house.
Thanks for the help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape - dm123 - 04-26-2017 06:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)