Poll: Should I bother with this HP 34C?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
04-15-2017, 04:38 PM
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape
(04-14-2017 12:12 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Hello!

If you need it for your collection, go for it. The "30 series" were (in my eyes) the worst LED calculators HP ever made and it is almost impossible to find a working specimen which is in good cosmetic condition as well.

The batteries tend to leak inside the electronics which offer zero protection against it, the plastic used for the housing is brittle and much too thin. Many of these calculators have cracks in the housing an broken battery covers.

I guess that most owners threw their calculators away after a couple of years (together with box and accessories which makes them so rare) and went for an HP-11C or 15C instead which were cheaper and better in every respect - apart from missing that magical glow in the dark.

Regards
Max

The HP34C was my introduction to RPN, but like Max says they do seem flimsy and I did upgrade to a 15C as soon as they came out.

I took the batteries out and stored it until about 2008, used it for a couple of years at work with AA batteries, then I sold it. Didn't like the lack of an automatic "off" feature, along with the comparatively heavy current drain. Plus the LED display is hard for me to read since I started using reading glasses.

It was cosmetically good, no battery leakage, and sold with all the manuals and case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Should I bother? HP-34C in rough shape - Dwight Sturrock - 04-15-2017 04:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)