Little explorations with HP calculators (no Prime)
05-29-2017, 12:04 AM
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators
(05-28-2017 10:50 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Both questions are still open, although due to some searches on the forum I realized that it is likely that whatever book about userRPL, aside from the focus on functions that may have changes, is helpful. So I should not restrict myself to the AUR only.

But still I would like to find a definition of what can be in the variable name in userRPL, did not find it so far.

From the 50g User Manual, p. 2-9:

Quote:Variables are referred to by their names, which can be any combination of alphabetic and numerical characters, starting with a letter (either English or Greek). Some non-alphabetic characters, such as the arrow (→) can be used in a variable name, if combined with an alphabetical character. Thus, ‘→A’ is a valid variable name, but ‘→’ is not. Valid examples of variable names are: ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘a’, ‘b’, ‘α’, ‘β’, ‘A1’, ‘AB12’, ‘A12’, ’Vel’, ’Z0’, ’z1’, etc.
A variable can not have the same name as a function of the calculator. Some of the reserved calculator variable names are the following: ALRMDAT, CST, EQ, EXPR, IERR, IOPAR, MAXR, MINR, PICT, PPAR, PRTPAR, VPAR, ZPAR, der_, e, i, n1,n2, …, s1, s2, …, ΣDAT, ΣPAR, π, ∞.

As far as books to learn RPL, I believe the best are Bill Wickes books ( Vols-1 & 2 for the 48SX and Revised Vol-1 for the GX). Other books have longer and/or better catalogs of functions, etc. but no book I've ever found does a better job at explaining some of the elegant and subtle aspects of RPL, explained through non-trivial and quite useful examples.

All 3 of these books are included in the MoHPC Document Set, though as always the real books are more satisfying (though not cheap!).

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Little explorations with the HP calculators - rprosperi - 05-29-2017 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)