Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
11-19-2017, 02:55 PM
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
Maybe someone already wrote it, but I recently realized that calculators can be used to store sensible(i) passwords (of course, unless one has many calculators, it is not good to store passwords only in them).
If they are reliable and used from time to time there is a good chance that the password will be still there after years.

This especially for systems with robust and/or external memory like the 50g.

Instead data on a computer/tablet/mobile can get lost for many other reasons (first and foremost due to technological changes, resets due to software problems, data erasure by mistake and so on).

For example I was reading about bitcoins for long time savings and bitcoins expose all the problems that one has with digital files. See the discussion here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9399.html .

Now assuming that the BTC protocol won't change and BTC nodes will be more or less trustworthy (those are bold assumptions), one way to store savings are paper wallets. A calculator can be a amazing sort of "paper" wallet if it has memory that lasts long. Plus this little data could make the calculator even more worthy than it is.

(i): although the utility of the data protected by the password is subjective. One could be extra paranoid about his data while literally no one else cares about it.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related? - pier4r - 11-19-2017 02:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)