Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
03-11-2017, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 07:14 PM by Don Shepherd.)
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related?
(03-10-2017 10:19 PM)bshoring Wrote:  As a retiree, I rarely need more than the four arithmetic functions. However, I use my HP calculators to stimulate my mind, whether it's finding new ways to program in RPN or other things. I figure an active mind may help keep dementia away.

Bob, I feel the same way. I enjoy programming my HP-65 (or 17b) to solve little number theory problems and games. And I really enjoy optimizing the programs to save space, make optimal use of the stack, or reduce running time. It is amazing what can be achieved with 100 bytes of memory. My goal is to stay alive at least until 2024, the 50th anniversary of the HP-65; I'll be 74 then.

I also run an air traffic control simulator on my Nexus 7 several times each day, to keep my mind active. Each scenario of planes presents a different airspace problem that must be solved. And lately I have been running an air traffic control simulator that I wrote on the Tandy 102 laptop computer from 1987 (thanks Bill).

I also love to play Hidato puzzles. I never really liked Sudoko, but the Hidato puzzles are a pleasure. Here is a link to one of about 20 books of Hidato puzzles:

puzzle book

Oh, in about a week my daughter is due to give birth, which will make me a grandfather. Maybe I'll teach little Juliet how to use the 65!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you used your calculator for something that was not really math related? - Don Shepherd - 03-11-2017 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)