hp48 working with large lists
03-12-2017, 04:49 PM
RE: hp48 working with large lists
(03-06-2017 11:10 AM)Werner Wrote:  I don't quite understand what the issue is.
You're trying to modify an element of a list under low memory conditions so you can't afford to have the list there twice, right?
Then, how would it be possible to assemble the list again?
That's my question is it possible to explode the list into its elements destroying the original so memory is available to perform modifications to the elements then reassemble into a list.

(03-06-2017 11:10 AM)Werner Wrote:  I'm afraid there's no miracle possible here - both exploding and assembling lists will take the memory of the list plus the memory of its constituting objects...

Thanks that's the answer to my question. In this case Think I'll reprogram my application to use a directory with variables instead of a list with elements. That way I'll be able to modify the variables independent of the directory object.

(03-06-2017 11:10 AM)Werner Wrote:  BTW deleting the variable that contains a list merely moves the list from USEROB to TEMPOB and will not gain you anything memory-wise, except longer garbage collections for large (exploded) lists ;-)
(some list commands purposefully save the list in a user variable to avoid the gc issue)
Yes I'm aware of this issue as mentioned it's outlined in William Wicks hp48 Insights. Was hoping there was a way (in SysRPL) to split the list without saving to the tempob area. I imagine there's a way to do it in assembly, but I'm not ready for assembly language yet.

(03-06-2017 11:10 AM)Werner Wrote:  Cheers, Werner

Thanks for confirming the behavior of lists for me as I'm a beginner with SysRPL and wouldn't know if SysRPL allowed such things. Since I'm using mainly UsrRPL with a little SysRPL . I already partially reprogramed my application to store data using variables in directories opposed to elements in a lists. Now I'm able to perform the operations I need, even in very low memory conditions.

Thanks again for the help,
Scott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
hp48 working with large lists - snrowe - 03-04-2017, 06:10 PM
RE: hp48 working with large lists - Han - 03-04-2017, 11:57 PM
RE: hp48 working with large lists - snrowe - 03-05-2017, 01:39 AM
RE: hp48 working with large lists - Werner - 03-06-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: hp48 working with large lists - snrowe - 03-12-2017 04:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)