Programming exercise (RPL/RPN) - Reciprocal Fibonacci Constant
02-18-2017, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 12:56 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
RE: Programming exercise (RPL/RPN) - Reciprocal Fibonacci Constant
(02-17-2017 10:36 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(02-17-2017 02:09 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  I think it's strange too, but that's what I got on my HP-41CV with CAT 1 and the printer on, after PACKING. Perhaps I should do a manual byte count.

The HP-42S' byte count doesn't include the END, which of course is cheating, because that END (or .END.) really does take up three bytes.
That still doesn't explain the discrepancy, though, and there is another factor that should make the 41 version one byte shorter than the 42S version, not two bytes longer: on the 42S, numbers are always preceded by a null byte, while the 41 only inserts a null byte between consecutive number lines.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. I think I've found out what happened. I keyed the same program into my HP-41C and got 32 bytes, which is still the wrong byte count. In both calculators that was the last program in the catalog list. After entering another small program into the HP-41C I finally obtained 30 bytes. Apparently the CAT 1 method doesn't work for the most recent program in the calculator. I've been using an infrared module and an HP-82240B printer.

Gerson.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Programming exercise (RPL/RPN) - Reciprocal Fibonacci Constant - Gerson W. Barbosa - 02-18-2017 12:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)