Leaving original user input in verbatim on CL after execution... any ideas?
01-31-2017, 04:54 PM
RE: Misbehaving ENG num format... any ideas?
The issue here is that these are "display" modes only. If you are copying a number back, HP calcs have always shown them in "full edit" mode. Since you are well under the limits of what fits in 12 digits, the digits are copied back. If it doesn't fit in 12 digits, then e notation is used.

Part of the problem is here trying to understand the intent of the user. For example, say you are set to ENG 3, and have typed 1.2345. It will show as 1.235e0. When you click COPY on that, should it return what is displayed and may be expected? Or all the digits? Is is more problematic to be reurning a mix? (image a formula with 4 numbers in it, of which 2 are copied back using e notation and the other 2 with more digits)

What could possibly improve things here is to have an additional check to see 1) do all digits entered fit in the first part of the eng formatted display perfectly, and 2) if so, return the value to the command line using e notation.

Thus 1.2345 would be copied back as 1.2345 in ENG 3 mode, but ENG 4 it would come back as 1.2345e0. Out of curiosity, how does the 89 you mention handle that? Do you just lose the '4' in one case?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Misbehaving ENG num format... any ideas? - Tim Wessman - 01-31-2017 04:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)