Free42 with IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating-point -- interested in a sneak preview?
03-18-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: Free42 with IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating-point -- interested in a sneak preview?
It isn't that strange that single precision works properly here: internally I always use a higher precision regardless of the single/double precision mode setting. A bit of brute force here saves a lot of code space and thinking time.

I agree accuracy over precision too, that has been my goal all along. I'm not sure we can justify the space to do the octant reduction separately in degrees, radians and gradians and I suspect doing this after the conversion to radians has occurred will result in this problem.

Fortunately, it is documented that double precision results can be incorrect in the latter digits for some (most?) functions Smile Double precision was a bit of an after thought which allowed keystroke programs to produce reasonably accurate single precision results -- at least that was its intention.

- Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Free42 with IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating-point -- interested in a sneak preview? - Paul Dale - 03-18-2014 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)