Free42 with IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating-point -- interested in a sneak preview?
03-06-2014, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2014 11:45 PM by Thomas Okken.)
RE: Free42 with IEEE 754-2008 decimal floating-point - interested in a sneak preview?
(03-04-2014 10:30 AM)fhub Wrote:  If you press the Shift-key on the PC-keyboard and release it again, then the button [1/x] in Free42 moves as if you would have clicked on it.

OK, that turned out to be a really silly bug. I always meant for there to be visible feedback on the screen when you pressed Shift, except of course it was the calculator's Shift key that was supposed to move, not the 1/x key. The reason nobody noticed until recently is, apparently, that the two paint requests, for key-down followed by key-up, come in such quick succession that you can't see them at all. I wasn't able to reproduce the issue at all under Windows XP, nor Windows 7 using its standard theme; I only saw in under Windows 7 with the classic theme.
Oh, well. I fixed it so that the visual feedback is now correct -- if the combination of your hardware and your version/theme of Windows is slow enough for it to be noticeable.
I uploaded the fixed Windows build and updated source code.

(03-06-2014 08:23 AM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  
(03-06-2014 01:06 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  For reference, my current to-do list for release 1.4.79 is ...
Since the change to the Intel lib and the 34 digit accuracy is a major change (in my opinion), would you consider to name the new release 1.5.0 ?

Hmm. Reviewing the project history, it looks like I bumped the minor version number pretty inconsistently. Version 1.1 was fairly major because it was the first that supported loading and saving programs, but 1.2 only added copy and paste, 1.3 added nothing except now being compilable by C++ compilers; 1.4 added decimal, which was big... But loadable skins, on-screen printer emulation and GIF spooling, the Palm local filesystem and HotSync conduit, and the HTTP server for iPhone, all pretty major features, didn't earn minor version number increases.
I'm happy with the arbitrariness of the current numbering scheme. If I ever get around to rewriting the Free42 type system using C++ polymorphism, then I'll probably go to 2.0. :-)

UPDATE: On second thought, maybe it is a good idea to go to 1.5 for this release, just to make it a bit more obvious that something drastic and non-forward-compatible has happened, never mind the relatively minor amount of work that went into it. Which I assume was J-F's point anyway.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)